What is School Direct?
As an outstanding National Teaching School, St Patrick's takes the lead role in developing you as a teacher. You will have the opportunity to work alongside the very best teachers during both your placements and training sessions. The Schools Direct Course can give you unique insights into what Excellence in Teaching really looks like. You will develop into not only an outstanding classroom teacher but also a future leader of education. The high quality training during your Schools Direct year will enable you to make a real difference to the lives of young people.
Through our partnership with Liverpool Hope University, our School Direct training cohort will be awarded
- QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education
- 60 Masters credits.
How can School Direct benefit you?
• You will be able to train in schools learning from high quality practitioners
• You will be eligible for the same financial support as other postgraduate teacher training routes
• You can expect to spend the majority of your time training in the classrooms with outstanding teachers
• All places will lead to qualified teacher status (QTS)
• You will be awarded a PGCE with 60 Masters credits
• Your Professional Issues core training will be provided by a highly-successful ITT Provider with excellent employability records
All students must pass tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to being offered a place on the course (preferably prior to interview). It is also desirable that all applicants have some school experience e.g. observation.
PGCE Secondary School Direct:
• GCSE in Mathematics and English Language Grade C or above.
• Degree classification of 2:2 or above for PE, Drama and English.
• Degree classification of 2:2 or above for Mathematics, Science, Physics with Mathematics, History, MFL, Music, Geography, Design & Technology and RE.
• Degree must be in related academic subject area.
PGCE Primary School Direct:
- A degree classification of 2:2 or above
- GCSE C or above in English, Maths and Science (or equivalent)
Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE)
Worried that your degree may not be suitable? We may be able to help you!
Subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) programmes help you gain the depth of knowledge you'll need to teach your chosen subject.
If you have the right qualities to become a teacher but you need to up your subject knowledge before you start training, we will talk you through the range of SKE programmes that are available.
If you feel that a subject knowledge enhancement programme would be beneficial to your application or your training please contact us to ask for advice.
Available SKE Programmes:
There are currently programmes available for the following secondary-phase subjects;